The Finance & Operations Manager position is a critical role within Primary Goods. As we're a small team, you'll be intimately involved with all financial and operational matters, from reconciling bank entries, preparing month-end P&Ls, and negotiating debt/loans, to forecasting inventory and placing POs. You'll help us lead new growth initiatives, coordinate global production and vendor relationships, lead month-end/year-end book closings, and help keep the shop running smoothly as we scale and execute on growth initiatives. You'll work closely with the company's leadership on a daily basis.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for all bank reconciliations and daily cash reporting, booking month-end journal entries and preparing account analysis for prepaid expenses, vendor deposits, and other assets.
- Assist with handling and tracking all AR/AP.
- Manage month-end and year-end book closing processes, and offer commentary on variances.
- Maintenance and creation of comprehensive spreadsheets to project P&L, cash flows/movements and inventory; conduct breakeven and profitability analyses on a weekly basis.
- Lead collaboration with inventory financing partners to negotiate debt deals.
- Assist with full employee lifecycle management: onboarding, managing benefits, running payroll, and offboarding/termination of employees.
- Proactively model and scrutinize data to uncover operational efficiencies that can be implemented.
- Lead inventory purchasing and PO placement process to keep pace with demand. Identify solutions to optimize supply chain from a cost and lead time perspective.
This role is ideal for a manager with 3-4 years of experience in a high-growth e-commerce or inventory-focused business. Prior experience with retail/e-commerce is a must, and the ideal candidate should not be afraid to roll up his/her sleeves to execute and strategize across multiple facets of the business.
- 3-4 years of experience in e-commerce/retail companies or banking/consultancy firms.
- Analytical skills are imperative; you should feel very comfortable in Excel and be data-driven.
- Experience working with high performance teams under intense pressure.
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting and extensive experience with sales, gross margin analysis, inventory trends and expense management.
- Extremely organized and very close attention to detail.
- Excellent communicator; "can-do" attitude and willing to do whatever it takes to get things done.
- Familiarity with SQL, R, and other data-centric programming languages.
- Comfortable with e-commerce platforms such as Shopify, Data Studio, Google Analytics, 3PL platforms, Xero, Quickbooks, etc.
- Able and willing to work at nights and weekends (as necessary).
- B.S. or MBA degree from a top-tier accredited university.
- BONUS: Speaks Mandarin and/or have worked with manufacturing facilities in China previously.
WHY PRIMARY GOODS?
- Classy and upscale office with unlimited snacks and drinks.
- Early-stage opportunity at a fast growing rocket ship. Be a part of something big.
- Regular team dinners and fun events: you’ll find a strong culture of like-minded people here.
- Performance bonus available every quarter/half for employees that hit goals and exceeds expectations.
- Great career growth opportunity—you’ll have direct access to leadership team 24/7.
COVER LETTER REQUIREMENT:
Please include your answers to the following questions; due to the high number of applicants, we will not review applications without a cover letter. The easiest way to upload your cover letter would be to upload it as part of your resume PDF.
In your cover letter, answer the following questions:
Why do you want to work at Primary Goods specifically? What's the most complex thing you've ever done in Excel, and how do you usually think about operations (i.e. what's important/not important, etc.)? What are the key profitability drivers for a direct-to-consumer e-commerce business, and which aspects of the income statement should management pay closest attention to?